What are your rights if you use a third party supplier?

Font size


If you’ve ordered a kitchen and had it fitted by a different company, or made an insurance claim and had the work done by the insurer’s tradesperson, what are your rights? Find out your rights when you use a third party supplier.

Third party suppliers explained

A third party supplier is a company that’s independent of the one you have bought a product, service or policy from. For example, you may buy a kitchen from a DIY store or a flat-pack furniture shop and arrange installation at the same time. Often these stores don’t use their own installers, but subcontract the work to independent suppliers.

Your rights if you use a third party supplier

If you use a third party supplier, your rights depend on several factors. The easiest way to explain it is to use an example.

  • Kitchen or bathroom installation: If you’re buying a new kitchen or bathroom and you’re getting it installed as part of the contract, then your consumer rights extend to the installation of the kitchen or bathroom. What that means is that if the kitchen or bathroom isn’t installed correctly, the company you bought the kitchen or bathroom from is responsible for putting it right. It doesn’t matter whether the contractor was directly employed by the kitchen or bathroom company or a sub contractor.

SAVVY TIP: If you buy a kitchen from one company and get it installed by your own builder or joiner, then it’s not the kitchen company’s responsibility to sort out any problems with bad installation. However, they are responsible for making sure that the kitchen is up to the job.

  • Appliance installation: If you buy something like a washing machine or dishwasher, you can complain to the retailer if it isn’t installed correctly, if you use their installation service.
  • Insurance claim: If you make an insurance claim – maybe for something like water damage to your home or a broken windscreen in your car – you have better protection if you use a company recommended by the insurer or on their approved panel. In that case, if the work isn’t up to scratch, it’s the insurer’s responsibility to sort it out. If they don’t sort it out, you should complain to the insurer. If that doesn’t get the desired result, you can complain – free of charge – to the Financial Ombudsman Service. They can make the insurance company put right any problems and, in some cases, pay compensation.

Using your own trader

If you use your own builder, joiner or trader to install a kitchen or to repair your home as part of an insurance claim, then you’ll have to sort out any problems directly with the trader. And that could mean making a claim via the small claims court if you can’t resolve the issue between you.

Photo by Dmitry Zvolskiy from Pexels

Related articles: 

Not happy with your financial provider? Complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service; it’s free

What ombudsman schemes are there? Who can you complain to?

SavvyWoman email newsletters: If you found this information useful why not sign up now to receive free fortnightly email newsletters with money saving tips and help? You can sign up at the top of any page on the website and your details won’t be passed to any other company for marketing purposes.