The Back to 60 campaign, which wants the state pension age for women to be reversed to 60, has won permission in the High Court for a judicial review of the state pension age rise. It will take place on June 5th and 6th.
What’s the background?
Three women have brought a case against the government, for a judicial review of the rise in the state pension age and how it has affected women born in the 1950s. The case was brought to the High Court by Backto60, which has formed an umbrella group for 1950s women, called ‘One Voice’.
Last November (2018) there was a hearing in the High Court to ask for permission to bring the judicial review. Permission was given and so the claimants can now have a full hearing for a judicial review of the way the state pension age rise has been introduced.
At the time, I spoke to Yvette GreenWay, who is the founder of Anna Christian Campaigns and a trustee of SOS. SOS provides mental health support to women affected by the rise in state pension age. She said: “I think any woman born in the 1950s can take great heart from the result achieved. It’s a huge step forward. That ruling last week was vital in order to progress to a full judicial review.”
The judicial review
The full hearing will take place on June 5th and 6th. Papers must be lodged within 42 days of the preliminary hearing (so by January 18th). This will allow a proper examination of the arguments put forward by groups representing 1950s women, in particular Backto60 and OneVoice.
NB: Article corrected on 9th to change ‘the hearing must take place’ to ‘papers must be lodged’. Apologies for the mistake.
What does it mean for WASPI DWP complaints?
The Department for Work and Pensions told me that any complaints to the DWP that have reached the Independent Case Examiner have been put on hold. Depending on the outcome of the judicial review, these cases may be re-opened.
UPDATE: Quite a few of you got in touch with me on Sunday to say that you had received a letter saying your complaint case was closed. I’m going to go back to the DWP press office and see what they say about this.
UPDATE: 11.12.18 I’m publishing my email exchange with the DWP press office, so you can see what I was told and when. The only thing I’ve not included is the name of the press officer. I rang the DWP press office on Friday afternoon to ask if WASPI maladministration complaints made to the DWP were being put on hold or had been closed. The press officer told me he thought they’d been put on hold, but that he’d check. He asked me to email my query to him.
This is what I said:
Future action on the ICE complaints submitted will depend on the Judicial Review Ruling. We will need to await that judgement.
I took this to mean that the complaints had been put on hold and not closed permanently. If the cases had been closed permanently, there can’t be any ‘future action’. So, in my article, I wrote that cases had been put on hold. After I sent out the SavvyWoman newsletter on Sunday, I received dozens of emails from women who’ve been sent letters saying – very clearly – their cases have been closed. I updated the article yesterday to reflect that and emailed the DWP press office again.
Here’s what I wrote:
These cases have been closed by ICE as it does not have the remit to consider issues which are, or have been, subject to legal proceeding.
The government will consider the High Court’s judgement once it has been reached, which will cover the issues raised by ICE complaints.
End of email chain.
I’m sorry for any confusion, but I hope you can see why I wrote what I did.
SavvyWoman email newsletters: If you found this information useful why not sign up now to receive free fortnightly email newsletters with money saving tips and help? You can sign up at the top of any page on the website and your details won’t be passed to any other company for marketing purposes.