Trade benevolent funds

Trade benevolent funds – job-related charitable and trade association grants

Font size


If you have worked in a particular industry and need financial support, there may be a charity or organisation that can help you. There are thousands of job-related charitable and trade association grants. Some can provide one off payments or ongoing financial support while others can offer help and advice. Find out what’s available.

Trade benevolent funds

We asked the charity Turn2Us for help in compiling this article and we’ve included a link to their ‘grant search’ tool at the end of this article.

Here are eleven charities and trade associations that we think you may find useful. We’ve listed them in alphabetical order:

The Care Workers Charity

Who it helps: If you work or have worked in the care industry in the UK, you may be able to get help. You must have worked for a provider registered with the Care Quality Commission (or the Care Inspectorate in Wales or Scotland). The list includes all staff in care homes for older people and for younger adults; domiciliary care providers; day centres and supported living providers. Anyone in any role employed with one of these registered providers is eligible including care staff, domestic, back office staff, catering staff and managers.

You need to have worked during one of the following four time frames in order to qualify:

  • One year’s continuous service if you’re currently working in this area;
  • Three years’ continuous service in the last five years if you no longer work in this area;
  • Six years’ continuous service in the last ten years if you no longer work in this area;
  • Over ten years’ service in your total working lifetime.

You also need to have checked that you’re claiming all the means-tested benefits you’re entitled to. You can see what benefits you’re entitled to via the Turn2Us website, and there’s a link at the end of this article.

What financial help is available: They offer two forms of support:

Essential support: A one-off payment towards the cost of an item or something you need for your basic health or if your quality of life is poor. You can also claim this payment if it’s something a family member needs. This could be, for example: a fridge or washing machine, keeping your home warm or a health improvement aid.

Support in a crisis: A one-off payment to support you if you’re experiencing an unforeseen or life changing circumstance and don’t have the money you need. This could be funeral expenses after a bereavement, moving home, travel expenses to hospital and basic safety and security home repairs.

How to get help: There’s a helpful document (guidance for applicants), which is good to read before you apply. There are also some frequently asked questions (FAQs).

They prefer you to apply online, but you can post or email your completed application form with the supporting documentation to or The Care Workers Charity (Grants), Hill Place House, 55A High Street, Wimbledon Village, London, SW19 5BA.

Cavell Nurses Trust – a charity for nurses

Who it helps: UK nurses, midwives and healthcare assistants, both working and retired who are suffering personal or financial hardship. This could be because of illness, disability, domestic abuse or the effects of older age. There’s no membership and they’re not a union or insurance scheme. 

What financial help is available: They can provide assistance with: essential white goods; travelling expenses to go to hospital; mobility aids; home adaptations due to disability; rent deposits; removal costs; bankruptcy and Debt Relief Order fees. 

How to get help: You need to complete the application form, which you can find online, and either email or post it to or Cavell Nurses’ Trust, Grosvenor House, Prospect Hill, Redditch B97 4DL. You’ll also need to provide documents such as proof of income, bank statements etc, depending on the financial help you want.  If you’re not sure what you qualify for, you can always ring their welfare team on 01527 595 999.

Fashion & Textile Children’s Trust – a charity to help children of those working in the fashion and textile industry

Who it helps: If you’re a parent or full-time carer working in the UK fashion and textile industry and are struggling financially, you might be eligible for a grant for your child (aged between 0 – 18 years).

What financial help is available: Grants can be one-off or ongoing payments depending on your child’s need and they would be for essential items such as school uniform or clothing. Grants start from £250 upwards.

How to get helpYou must be receiving child benefit for the child who needs a grant and you must have worked in the industry for a minimum of one year, within the last nine years.

The first step is to complete the online enquiry form. If they think they can help your family, they will send you an application form (usually within 14 days of receiving your enquiry). You can contact their grants team if you have any issues or questions regarding the enquiry form process on 0300 123 9002.

For You by You – the Charity for Civil Servants

Who it helps: Those who are currently employed by the civil service, or who have been in the past, plus their financial dependants.

SAVVY TIP: The National Health Service, armed forces, local authorities and county councils are not part of the civil service and so the charity isn’t able to help people who work or have worked for them.

What financial help is available: They have services and advice to help with things like relationship difficulties, caring responsibilities, stress, anxiety and depression. If you are experiencing financial difficulties because of an unexpected need, or if circumstances are making it particularly difficult to manage, they may also be able to offer financial help.

How to get help: You can make an enquiry online or you can find out if you are eligible by calling 0800 056 2424 or emailing

GroceryAid – the charity for people working in the grocery trade

Who it helps: People who have worked in the grocery trade and their partners. This includes if you’ve worked for small, independent stores or in supermarkets or companies that supply them. You or your partner must have worked in the industry for at least three years to get a crisis grant. You will need to have worked in the industry for at least ten years to qualify for ongoing help.

What financial help is available: They can provide grants if you have a short-term emergency and you may also be able to get ongoing welfare support. The website has lots of factsheets and there’s a helpline that’s available 24 hours a day for advice on a range of issues (not just finance). You can use the helpline no matter how long you’ve been in the industry. The number is 08088 021122.

How to get help: You can apply online.

SAVVY TIP: If you’d like to speak to someone before you apply, you can email or call 01252 875925.

Help Musicians UK – the music industry charity

Who it helps: People who are emerging, professional and retired musicians.

What financial help is available: They can help you to develop your talent if you are just getting started in your career or if you are an existing professional that has a crisis which has a devastating effect on your career and your family. They can also help you if you have a long-term or terminal illness, if you are in retirement or need special help as you grow older.

How to get help: You can get help and advice online or by calling to speak to them in confidence on 0207 239 9101, Monday to Friday 9am to 5.30pm.

Institute of Civil Engineers (ICE) Benevolent Fund

Who it helps: Civil engineers who are, or have been, members of ICE and their families.

What financial help is available: ICE give one-off payments to help get you through a particularly challenging time or to purchase a specific piece of equipment or item that would make your life easier. This could be a disability aid or help with necessary home improvements or property maintenance.

They also offer monthly grants for up to six months – or sometimes longer if circumstances are more challenging – for things like supporting members with a long-term illness, through periods of unemployment or facing a temporary setback.

How to get help: You can find out if you are eligible for this service online. You can contact them via telephone or email on 01444 417 979 or Monday to Friday 8.45am – 5pm. You can apply for a grant online or by downloading the application form.

NUJ Extra – National Union of Journalists charity 

Who it helps: NUJ members who have fallen on hard times.

What financial help is available: They can give one-off grants to help pay for urgent utility bills or to make adjustments to your home because of a sudden disability. For example, in the past they’ve helped members to meet the cost of removal expenses to get away from violent partners and given them financial support whilst they got on their feet again; helped pay mortgages; helped single parents with young children and children who have lost their parents; bought electric wheelchairs and repaired windows. They also maintain regular monthly payments to dependants of deceased NUJ members.

How to get help: Before completing the application form, you need to read the how can we help you page. To apply, you need to print off an application form, complete it and then post it or email it to Headland House, 72 Acton Street, London WC1X 9NB or

If you have any questions, you can contact their administrator Leyla Yusuf by telephone or email on 020 7843 3738 or

RetailTRUST – the trade charity for people working in retail

Who it helps: People working in retail and the supporting service industries. As well as grants, they also offer wellbeing services, vocational and career development programmes and retirement estates.

What financial help is available: They offer three types of grants: crisis, welfare and educational and vocational to help you in times of need.

How to get help: You can apply for a crisis, welfare or educational grant online. You can contact them for more information about their services via telephone or email on 0203 657 6818 or

Social Workers Benevolent Trust – the charity for social workers

Who it helps: They can help social workers who hold a professional Social Work qualification and their dependents in the UK when times are difficult.

What financial help is available: They can provide you with a grant for things like social work training, private education, health care or social care or supplementing income to cover daily living expenses.

The trust only has a small income, so they can only give grants of up to £500. Only in very exceptional circumstances can you apply for a grant of more than £500.

How to get help: You need to read their notes for applicants before completing the application form. They prefer you to complete the application form and email it to Or you can post it to: The Secretary, SWBT, Wellesley House, 37 Waterloo Street, Birmingham, B2 5PP.

The Benevolent – the drinks industry charity 

Who it helps: People who have worked in the drinks industry. This includes anyone who has worked in PR or trade journalism in the industry as well as those who’ve made or sold alcoholic drinks. There’s no minimum or maximum age limit, but you must have spent 20% of your working life, including the last two years, in the industry.

What financial help is available: Ongoing and one-off emergency grants to help with financial problems caused by illness, life changing disability, unemployment or personal/family issues. The charity also provides debt advice and support and grants for funeral costs or business related bankruptcy. It can also provide funding towards adapting your home if you’re ill, disabled or elderly, or for palliative holidays if you’re facing a life changing or terminal illness. There may also be funding towards private treatment or legal advice, if needed.

How to get help: You can download an application form online. When you’ve filled it in, you can send it via email or post to or The Benevolent 39-45 Bermondsey Street London SE1 3XF. If you require support, you can also contact them via telephone on 020 7089 3888.

Useful links:

The national charity Turn2us provides practical help for people who are struggling financially. Their grant search tool helps you narrow down grants that you might be entitled to from a list of thousands.

Turn2us grant search tool:

They also have a benefits entitlement calculator:

Turn2Us is concerned that people are missing out on grants that are available. Pritie Billimoria, Head of Communications at Turn2us, says:

“Every day we are seeing more and more people come to us for financial help, despite being in work. But people are always surprised to find they have been missing out on money through charitable grants or benefits. It is vital that anyone with money troubles, working or not, regularly checks to make sure they are not missing out on support, rather than struggling in silence.”

Related articles:

Charities that give grants to women in need

Where to go if you need help with debt

10 things you need to know about universal credit

SavvyWoman email newsletters: If you found this information useful why not sign up now to receive free fortnightly email newsletters with money saving tips and help? You can sign up at the top of any page on the website and your details won’t be passed to any other company for marketing purposes.