Charities that give grants to women in need

Font size


Women can end up in financial difficulty for all kinds of reasons: illness, breakdown of a relationship or losing their job. In the Victorian times there were many charities and trusts to help women and some charities that give grants to women in need are still around today.

Charities that give grants to women in need

I’ve listed a few charities that give grants to women in need that are currently offering support. Most provide financial help, although the amounts can be quite small and the criteria for getting any help can be very specific.

Housing for Women

Provides social housing for women and their families across London. The charity operates across a number of boroughs in London.

Margaret’s Fund 

This charity started out supporting women with TB (tuberculosis) but now offers financial assistance to women in need in the UK who are suffering from any illness. Because the charity started out supporting women with TB, it prioritises TB and chest and pulmonary illnesses over other diseases. It can issue grants for clothing, extra heating, extra food, for a holiday to convalesce from an illness and disability aids.

SAVVY TIP: The charity doesn’t provide funding for debt, transport, repairs or alterations or general/ongoing funding.

Royal Society for the Support of the Women of Scotland This charity was founded in 1847 as the Indigent Gentlewoman’s Fund (its website still has an igf address). It supports single women over the age of 50 who struggle to live on a limited income and who have little by the way of savings. It does this by paying an annual grant, which, as I write this, is worth around £1,300 a year.

In order to qualify for a grant:

  • You must have lived in Scotland for at least two years when you apply
  • You must be unmarried, widowed, divorced or separated.
  • You must also have savings and capital of less than £16,000 (not including your home).
  • Your annual income after tax has been deducted must be less than £17,500.
  • You don’t have to be living alone but you can’t apply for a grant if you’re living with your partner or civil partner.

SAVVY TIP: There are one or two other rules relating to your income and level of debts. You can find this information on the application criteria page of the charity’s website.

Smallwood Trust 

This charity used to be known as the Society for the Assistance of Ladies in Reduced Circumstances and it aims to help women on low incomes become financially resilient. It gives out grants through its Women First Direct Fund. You have to live on your own or with your children, be on a low income, be of working age, have no more than £5,000 in savings, have no more than £16,000 of debt and have the right to live in the UK. As an example of the kind of help it provides, the charity says it has paid out grants to help someone remain in her rented accommodation and money to help someone buy food for when her grandchildren stay.

St Andrew’s Society for Ladies in Need

Gives one-off and regular grants to women who are of working age and who cannot earn a living or those who have retired. The website says that in order to receive financial assistance, recipients need to live alone and have a ‘good education’ (not quite sure what they mean by that). You must also be British born, have limited savings and be claiming all the state help you’re entitled to.

SAVVY TIP: The charity cannot give any financial help towards paying off debts.

Related articles: 

Your rights if the bailiffs or debt collectors call

Where to go if you need help with debt

Pension Credit: what are you entitled to?

SavvyWoman email newsletters: If you found this information useful why not sign up now to receive free fortnightly email newsletters with money saving tips and help? You can sign up at the top of any page on the website and your details won’t be passed to any other company for marketing purposes.