If you want to find out how much state pension you may get, the best way to do this is to get a state pension statement. It will tell you how much state pension you have built up so far. But how do you get one?
What is a state pension statement?
A state pension statement is something you can get online or through the post. It will tell you:
- How much state pension you’ve built up so far by paying or being credited with National Insurance contributions. It includes both the basic state pension you’re likely to receive and any additional state pension. This could be made up of SERPS (state earnings related pension scheme) or the state second pension.
- How much state pension you should receive when you retire. This is based on how much National Insurance (NI) you have paid so far.
SAVVY TIP: A state pension statement won’t tell you how much your state pension could be based on future National Insurance contributions. It will only tell you about the state pension you’ve built up so far and what that would mean if you were to retire without making any further National Insurance contributions.
How to get a state pension statement – and understand it
You can go online and get a state pension statement or you can get a state pension statement by phone or by post. Here’s what’s involved.
- Going online: you can get a state pension statement online at the Gov.uk website.
- Applying over the phone. You can get a state pension statement by phone. You can call the Future Pension Centre on 0345 3000 168 between 8 am and 6pm Monday to Friday (or on 44 191 218 3600 if you’re outside the UK between 8 am and 5pm).
SAVVY TIP: You won’t receive your state pension statement straight away. Instead you’ll receive it in the post within ten working days after you’ve phoned.
- By post. You can download an application form or fill it on on screen and then print it. Once you have done that you can send it to the Newcastle Pension Centre, Futures Group, The Pension Service 9, Mail Handling Site A, Wolverhampton, WV98 1LU
SAVVY TIP: If you apply for a state pension statement by post you’re normally sent a booklet that explains how your state pension statement has been worked out. If you order your state pension forecast online, you can download a copy of the state pension statement booklet from the Gov.uk website.
Getting a statement if you live outside the UK
If you live outside the UK you can contact the International Pension Centre to find out about the state pension you might get when you retire. The telephone number is 44 (0)191 218 7777
SavvyWoman email newsletters: If you found this information useful why not sign up now to receive free fortnightly email newsletters with money saving tips and help? You can sign up at the top of any page on the website and your details won’t be passed to any other company.