Understanding state benefits such as attendance allowance that elderly people who are ill or disabled can claim.
If you or your parent becomes ill or disabled, what state benefits are available?

If your parent develops a serious illness, such as dementia or cancer, the financial consequences will probably be the last thing on your mind. But the fact is that elderly people who are ill or have a health condition may be entitled to attendance allowance. It's a non means-tested benefit and it could make a big difference to your income.

More »

What are deferred payment agreements if you need to pay for your long-term care?
If you have to pay your care fees, you can put off selling your home until after you’ve you died. How do deferred payment agreements work?

The introduction of the Care Act means that from 1st April 2015, if you live in England and have to pay for your long-term care, the local authority has to offer you a ‘deferred payment agreement. That means you can delay paying the local authority for your care until you choose to sell your home or until after you’ve died. How do deferred payment agreements work?

More »

How to get problems with a power of attorney resolved
What can you do if a bank or building society won’t recognise a power of attorney?

If you want to look after the financial affairs of someone who can no longer manage, you’ll need the legal authority to do this. It’s called an ongoing or permanent ‘power of attorney’. Once you have it, you have the legal right to run someone’s bank account, sell their home to pay care fees and so on. The problem is that banks and building societies don’t always deal with people who have a power of attorney correctly. How can you avoid this problem?

More »

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

The material provided on this website is general information that is intended for general guidance and is not suitable for professional advice.
You should always obtain independent financial advice.