What can you do if your partner is controlling over money or abusive?
If you’re the victim of financial abuse, what are your rights and what can you do?

Is your husband, wife, partner or civil partner controlling about money? Does he or she try and stop you from spending your money or refuse to pay bills? Does he or she take money out of your joint account without asking? If you’ve answered ‘yes’ to any of these, you may be the victim of financial abuse. A new survey by Citizens Advice shows that 90% of its advisers have helped people who’ve experienced financial abuse.

More »

Living with your partner - how a living together agreement can protect your finances.
If you're cohabiting with your partner, a living together agreement may be worth considering.

Every year thousands of couples move in or buy a house together but many have no idea about how little protection the law gives them. You can live in your partner's house for decades and find you may not be entitled to anything when you split up. In Scotland, the situation is slightly different, but there’s still no automatic right to a share of your partner’s property. If you want to make your position crystal clear you should consider drawing up a legal agreement.

More »

Understanding your rights if you have a second card on your account
If you have two credit cards on the same account, make sure you know who's responsible for paying the bill

If you have a credit card account, you may be able to have a second card on the account for your husband, wife or partner. It's sometimes called a 'secondary' card. If you have a second account, it's the person who has the credit card account who's still responsible for paying the bill. Make sure you know how it works.

More »

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

The material provided on this website is general information that is intended for general guidance and is not suitable for professional advice.
You should always obtain independent financial advice.